The company's roots date back to the 1950’s, when it was founded as a propane retailer and appliance distributor. Originally headquartered in Winnsboro, Texas, Taylor was acquired by the Messimer family in 1977. Crude oil trucking operations began in 1997 with the arrival of James Ballengee, and Taylor continued to focus on growing that side of the business over the next several years. In January of 2000, Buddy Messimer and James Ballengee purchased the company from the Messimer family. From 2001 to 2002, Taylor purchased 100 tractors, 130 trailers and 72 injection stations from Shell through a series of asset purchases stemming from a strategic decision by Shell not to own crude oil transportation assets. Since that time, Taylor has continued to enter new markets, becoming the largest independent for-hire crude oil transportation and logistics business in the United States.
Taylor Companies, LLC was purchased by Gibson Energy ULC on May 14th, 2010. In 2012 we became known as Gibson Energy, LLC.